JCCU has formulated the "Consumer Co-op 2030 Environmental Sustainability Policy", which is promoted by all consumer co-ops in Japan until 2030 in order to realize a sustainable society.
"10 Action Guidelines" and "2030 Goals" that make up the "Consumer Co-op 2030 Environmental Sustainability Policy"
As an organization with the philosophy of "Creating a more human lifestyle and sustainable society" consumer co-ops nationwide support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and are developing specific practices. Through the implementation of the newly formulated "Consumer Co-op 2030 Environmental Sustainability Policy", consumer co-ops nationwide will further contribute to the realization of the SDGs.
10 Action Guidelines and 2030 Goals
1. We will expand and popularize products that support ethical consumption, and increase the number of consumers in society who are sympathetic to ethical consumption.
2. We will reduce greenhouse gas emissions throughout the supply chain of the co-op's businesses and in the livelihoods of its members.
We will reduce CO2 emissions by 40% by 2030 compared to 2013.
3. Through the development of renewable energy, we will increase the amount of renewable energy introduced in Japan and contribute to the creation of sustainable communities.
We will develop renewable energy with an annual power generation of 400 million kWh by 2030.
4. We will reduce the amount of plastic containers packaging and paper used in the co-op businesses. We will also promote the switch to sustainable raw materials.
- We will reduce the amount of single-use disposable plastic containers used for packaging by 25% by 2030 compared to FY2018.
- We will reduce the amount of paper used for product catalogs by 25% by 2030 compared to FY2021.
5. We will work together with co-op members to collect and recycle containers and packaging generated in the co-op businesses.
6. We will promote the reduction of food waste and food loss generated by the co-op businesses and members' households.
We will reduce food waste by 50% by 2030 compared to FY2018.
7. Throughout the supply chain, we will promote "responsible procurement" that respects human rights and considers the environment.
8. We will promote environmental conservation activities together with co-op members and aim to realize a society in harmony with nature.
9. We will take on the challenge of new collaborative efforts to solve various issues related to the environment and sustainability.
10. We will actively disclose our work related to the environmental and sustainability initiatives and promote dialogue with society.