Mission and Vision
JCCU adopted the 2030 Vision of Japanese Consumer Co-ops with the message of “Creating the future with the power of connections” at the 2020 General Assembly. We have taken a new step towards 10 years of new challenges aiming at the realization of “a rich life,” “a community where people live with a sense of security” and “a sustainable world where no one is left behind,” along with the Co-op Action Plan for SDGs (adopted in 2018).
The Ideal of Japanese Consumer Co-ops Movement for the 21st Century
Creating a more human lifestyle and sustainable society
through the concerted efforts of autonomous citizens
In 1995, the International Co-operative Alliance (ICA) adopted the “Statement on the Co-operative Identity” which includes the definition of a co-operative, its values and the seven co-operative principles. In accordance with the statement, JCCU and its member co-ops formulated the “Ideal of Japanese Consumer Co-ops Movement for the 21st Century” in 1997. This ideal reflects the consumer co-op's unchanging belief that it values and works for people's happiness and its vision for the future.
2030 Vision of Japanese Consumer Co-ops
Creating the future with the power of connections
The “2030 Vision of Japanese Consumer Co-ops” describes what consumer co-ops aim for, based on the viewpoints of SDGs, and states the goal that the Japanese consumer co-ops plan to achieve in 2030. We will utilize the power that comes from the connections between people, including governments, organizations, businesses, and individuals, in addition to the connections between consumer co-ops and other co-operatives. With the power of connections, we will realize the following five goals.
1. Rich life throughout a lifetime
- We will extend our usefulness to everyone, focusing on food, and create business which benefits everyone throughout a lifetime.
2. Local communities where people can live with the sense of security
- We will become an essential part of local infrastructures and support people’s lives and community network.
3. Sustainable Japan and the world where no one is left behind
- We will work together with people around the world to realize a sustainable and inclusive society.
4. A sparkling co-op where every member and staff is lively
- We will realize sound management that will continue into the future and a co-op where every member and staff can shine vibrantly.
5. A co-op that connects more people
- We will create a co-op that connects many people and strengthen the solidarity and foundation of our activities.