What We Do
There are two main functions of product business of JCCU.
- Development of CO·OP Brand Products: JCCU develops and improves CO·OP Brand Products to meet members' demand in their daily lives.
- Distribution of products to member co-ops nationwide: JCCU manages the distribution of CO·OP Brand Products comprehensively from ordering to logistics and delivery, cooperating with manufacturers for optimal management.
In addition to above, JCCU operates joint purchasing of products including national brand products and imports, makes home delivery catalogs, and organizes product promotion planning in cooperation with member co-ops.
There are two types of JCCU catalog business.
- Catalogs for members' daily life: handles mainly furniture, home décor goods, and clothing. Goods are delivered directly to members' home.
- Seasonal Gift Catalogs: members place orders for gift items, which are delivered directly to designated recipients.
Orders can be placed both through catalogs and via online.
Business Platform Development for Member Co-ops
JCCU develops business platforms:
- Online membership application systems
- Online ordering systems for individuals
- Ordering systems of CO·OP Brand Products for member co-ops
- Quality management systems for member co-ops
- Building and improving distribution centers and promoting joint use with member co-ops, etc..
Social Roles as a Consumers' Organization
JCCU takes initiatives to establish, improve, and advocate consumers' rights and enhance the social system.
The initiatives are as below:
- Submission of public comments to the Japanese government
- Attendance at and remarks to government's councils
- Investigations about food safety, consumer administration, environmental affair,etc.
- Publicity of the results of the actions above.
Organizational Operation and Formulation of National Policy of Consumer Co-ops
JCCU supports its member co-ops in their organizational operation. Also, at the Annual General Assembly of JCCU, common policies of consumer co-ops nationwide and JCCU's business plan and policies are decided.
Before the General Assembly, JCCU hosts committees and conferences to be attended by members and staffs of consumer co-ops nationwide to prepare proposals. The themes of committees and conferences range widely from daily-life matters of individual members to business strategies of consumer co-ops.
Support to Members' Activities
Consumer co-ops carry out various activities and educational programs for their members and social action programs as the member of the local community where each of them is located. The themes of activities are as below:
food education including food safety, consumer issues, family budget management, collection and release of statistics about family budget, welfare, environment, disaster prevention, support for disaster recovery at affected area, peace movement, etc..
JCCU supports its member co-ops by holding seminars and exchange events, publishing newsletters and educational materials, planning and promoting campaigns jointly held by its member co-ops nationwide.
Support for Businesses of Member Co-ops
JCCU takes initiative to solve common challenges of its member co-ops and supports member co-ops to tackle the challenges jointly.
The initiatives are as below:
- Support for home delivery business, store business, and SANCHOKU business
- Legal help and consulting support for business management
- Various seminars to assist human resource development
- Exchange events
- Surveys and researches
- Publication of the result of investigations, statistic data, learning materials for staff of member co-ops, etc..
Cooperation with Various Organizations
JCCU cooperates with its member co-ops and other organizations, such as, co-operatives, mutuals, NPOs, NGOs, administrative organs, etc.
Each time a huge disaster occurs, JCCU supports reconstruction of communities and economy in the affected areas. At the same time, JCCU supports its member co-ops to hold disaster prevention seminars for members and local residents sharing experiences in and lessons learned during reconstruction support.